Monday, May 14, 2012

Old House Nostalgia

In four days, we move to our rental. In 10, we close on the sale of this old house.

To the house, I was just a blip. Just six years of the 120 it's seen. But to me, it's been quite a chapter.

I had my second baby in this house, battled the baby blues, got a big promotion, saw my marriage dissolve, found myself in a whirlwind romance, got married, and built a life as a blended family. This house saw it all. I potty trained two boys here, saw them both crack their heads open, hosted holidays and dinner parties, practiced baseball in the backyard and painted the bedroom as our first married project.

I've shed more tears in the shower, spent more time leaning wistfully against the door casings, and done more laps chasing little feet on these hardwood floors.

Thank you old house. I leave you a stronger, wiser, happier woman. And I hope that your next chapter echoes with as much laughter but, perhaps, a few less tears. I know my next chapter will, as well.


9 comments:

  1. I love closing rituals, they bring such strength and power to the person! Congratulations on your new home, new beginnings, new story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life changes and moves for sure. I hope all the best at the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post. It was a little bittersweet for me to leave my old house too - my daughter (now almost 10) and son had lived there all their life. But, my circumstances were similar to yours, and now we will have a new house where new special memories will be made. I know your family will do the same in your new home too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Kevin, great post. I was just discussing with my wife about our old house. It's seven doors down from my son's school and I drive by it a few times a week. I don't miss the house itself, but the memories and life I built there. It was my first home, my son's only home and where my daughter grew from 2nd grade on.
    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the exact same sentiment as Sgt Rich and the others. We just closed on our current house yesterday, and while I will miss some things about this home, it's the memories that we've built here that I'm nervous will fade. We've been here 10 yrs, most of our children's lives. I plan on taking pics over the next few months so I don't forget anything about the house.
    One bonus is that my brother bought our house, so we will be visiting it often. And watching the changes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is certainly a great post..I love how you have expressed your memories..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ever since you posted this I've been trying to figure out how to pay homage to my own little abode. I started remodeling it before I met my husband and it saved me in many ways. It showed me what I could do...with a house anyways...so I know the love you feel for all the memories you made in it. Thank you for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is shocking news in the sports betting world.

    It has been said that every bettor needs to see this,

    Watch this now or quit betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Sports Betting ROBOT

    ReplyDelete